Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The White Tie

Hey everyone!


Things are still good here in MX. It was a good week, I actually had my first baptism and they asked me to do it. It was awesome! So we baptized a boy who is 9 years old. This week he and his mother asked if he could get baptized and since he was older than 8 and had already had all of the lessons from other missionaries we did it on Saturday. It was a really great spiritual experience. Also kind of scary making sure that I didn´t mess us the words in Spanish. The service was great, there were some really good talks by the one of the members of the bishopric and the Young Mens president. The boy's mother also gave a really great testimony. The members here are awesome! They all are very strong in thier faith and very nice. The ward I´m in (Atempan) is also fairly big. They usually have to use the overflow for sacrement meeting. It´s honestly bigger than Waterloo ward, haha.

The rest of the week was pretty good. We always do a lot of walking, especially when we teach investigators or have meals with members that live out in the southern neighborhoods of our area. We actually went further south in our area this week. It took us about 40 minutes to walk to this members house (who wasn´t home) and we still only were about halfway to the southern boundery of our area. I´ve actually heard that they are thinking about splitting up our area. That would probably be a good thing.

Our investigators are doing well and the lessons are almost always good. We are however having a hard time getting them to come to church. I also found out this week that in this mission investigators have to have attended 5 sacrement meetings before baptism. It is a lot, but it also means that retention is better and that the people that are baptised feel more comfortable going to church and keeping their covanants. But it also means that we have to set baptismal dates pretty far away. We also have an investigator that we are trying to help quit drinking. It has been really hard for him. I´m so glad that in my life I haven´t had to deal with that because it is such a horrible thing. However I know that if he really relies on the Lord and does the things that help bring him closer to Christ that he will be able to quit.

Yeah, all in all it was a good week. Kind of frustrating at times, and very spiritually uplifting at others. Spanish is still a large challenge for me but I´m pretty sure I´m making progress. It´s kind of crazy to think that I´ve been in Mexico for 3 or 4 weeks. The days seem long but in retrospect they seem pretty fast. Well, Love you guys!

-Elder Hartvigsen

No comments:

Post a Comment